Governor's Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention, Treatment, and Recovery
We envision a society in which alcohol and drug problems are recognized as a public health issues that is both preventable and treatable.
We envision a society in which high-quality services for prevention and treatment of alcohol and drug problems are widely available and where prevention and treatment are recognized as specialized fields of expertise.
We envision a society in which people with a history of alcohol or drug problems, people in recovery, and people at risk for these problems are valued and treated with dignity and where stigma, prejudice, discrimination, and other barriers to prevention and recovery are eliminated.
The Commission was created by the NH Legislature in the year 2000 and revised in 2014. Its duties include:
- Developing and revising, as necessary, a statewide plan for the effective prevention of alcohol and drug abuse, particularly among youth; and a comprehensive system of treatment and recovery services for individuals and families affected by alcohol and drug abuse;
- Promoting collaboration between and among state agencies and communities to foster the development of effective community-based alcohol and drug abuse prevention programs;
- Promoting the development of treatment services to meet the needs of citizens addicted to alcohol or other drugs;
- Identifying unmet needs the resources required to reduce the incidence of alcohol and drug abuse in NH and to make recommendations to the Governor regarding legislation and funding to address such needs; and
- Authorizing the disbursement of moneys from the alcohol abuse and prevention and treatment fund, pursuant to RSA 176-A:1, III.
The following task forces assist the Commission in the performance of its duties:
- Prevention (Read meeting minute notes)
- Treatment (Read meeting minute notes)
- Recovery (Read meeting minute notes)
- Program Monitoring and Evaluation
- Read all task forces’ meeting minutes
The Chairperson may create additional task forces as needed.
The Governor's Commission on Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Prevention, Intervention, Treatment and Recovery are pleased to share the 2016 Commission's Annual Report (read the 2015 report ) to the Governor and Legislature. This report highlights progress, challenges, and opportunities for the Commission and its collective efforts to address the misuse of alcohol and other drugs, particularly opioids, and to promote treatment and recovery.
The Governor's Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention, Treatment, and Recovery meeting minutes are presented below:
- December 16, 2016
- October 28, 2016
- August 26, 2016
- June 24, 2016
- April 22, 2016
- February 19, 2016
- December 18, 2015
- October 23, 2015
- August 28, 2015
- June 26, 2015
- April 24, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- October 24, 2014
- August 22, 2014
The Prevention Task Force of the NH Governor's Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention, Treatment, and Recovery released the Top 5 Actions Schools Can Take to Help Prevent and Reduce Youth Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Use . This publication provides guidance to New Hampshire schools on assessing and developing model policies to address alcohol and other drug use. Additional information on evidence-based programming, policy change, social marketing campaigns, and related training for schools can be found on the NH Center for Excellence education page.
- Brief Summary of Comprehensive Approach and Progress Report
- NH School Alcohol and Drug Policy Survey Summary Report
- Call to Action: Responding to New Hampshire's Prescription Drug Abuse
- 2013 State Plan: Collective Action-Collective Impact
Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.