Adoption Assistance may be available to adoptive parents of a child with special needs if the child and adopting parents meet the eligibility requirements of the Adoption Assistance and Child Welfare Act.
Post Adoption Services
Adoption is a lifelong commitment. At any stage throughout life the adopted person and the adoptive family may have needs or questions that are unique to adoption. There are a variety of services available in NH to assist adopted persons and their families.
DCYF provides information and referral regarding post adoption services and support , as well as short-term case management, voluntary services, education and support.
General Adoption and Parenting-related Support, Training and Information
- New Hampshire Foster Adoptive Parent Association
- Evan B Donaldson Institute on Adoption
- Granite State College Caregiver On-Going Training is available free to adoptive parents
- Beyond Consequences
Information and training for parents.
- Adoption Learning Partners
Meaningful, timely, web-based educational adoption resources for professionals, parents, adopted individuals, and the families that love them.
- Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption
Offers a variety of free resources, including a toolkit to propose and establish workplace adoption benefits, adoption awareness materials, and adoption attitudes research
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Child Welfare Information Gateway
Lists adoption assistances by state, gives examples of model programs, highlights research findings on post-adoption services, and provides links to publications for adoptive parents.
- Center for Adoption Support and Education
Information about adoption-competent training and recommended reading for children, parents, adoption professionals, and educators.
- Tapestry Books
Resource for Adoption Books
Information on mental health, early trauma, prenatal substance exposure and practical parenting for challenging children
- A great article on parenting children who have experienced trauma and the impact of toxic stress
Information on attachment therapy and attachment parenting.
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network
Information for parents of children who have experienced trauma, and professionals that work with them.
- Daniel Hughes
Attachment disorder treatment and resources.
- Charlie Applestein offers strength base parenting strategies.
- Better Endings
Information and resources for families parenting children who experienced prenatal exposure to alcohol or drugs.
- Bill Corbett, Cooperative Kids
Practical hands on parenting advice. Bill Corbett is also the author of Love, Limits and Lessons.
- Lives in the Balance
A nonprofit organization founded by Dr. Ross Greene that teaches and supports parents and professionals in using the Collaborative Problem Solving Approach to working with challenging children.
- New Hampshire Family Voices
Resources and support for families parenting children with special medical needs.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), New Hampshire
Information, resources and support groups for families parenting children with mental illness.
Special Education Information
- Wrightslaw offers information on special education
- Parent Information Center
Provides assistance to parents living in NH in understanding and accessing special education services for their children
Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.