Concord, NH – New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Commissioner Nicholas Toumpas and Governor Maggie Hassan joined with the State Committee on Aging and EngAGING NH to recognize this year’s recipients of the Vaughan Awards. These awards are presented annually to a couple or individual from each county who are 60 or older and have demonstrated outstanding leadership and volunteer service on behalf of senior citizens across New Hampshire.
“New Hampshire citizens have a long tradition of coming together and working with one another to improve our communities,” said Governor Hassan. “The Vaughan Award winners are a shining example of that tradition, proving that when we care for each other, we all get stronger. On behalf of the people of New Hampshire, I thank this year’s winners for their service and dedication to making the Granite State a great place to live and work.”
“We are very fortunate here in New Hampshire to have so many seniors who make volunteering a part of their lives,” said DHHS Commissioner Toumpas. “It is so important that we recognize efforts of the Vaughan Award recipients and all of our senior volunteers. All that they do has helped to strengthen our communities and the network of programs and services available for seniors in our State.”
This year's recipients are:
- Belknap County: Jane Alden of Tilton
- Carroll County: Don Litchko of Conway
- Cheshire County: Theresa Johnson & Ernie Perham of Westmoreland
- Coos County: Robert Loven of Dummer
- Grafton County: Jodi Austin of Lebanon
- Hillsborough County: Joyce Wilson of Manchester
- Merrimack County: Irene Jewett of East Andover
- Rockingham County: Barbara Coish of Windham
- Strafford County: John Robicheau of Farmington
- Sullivan County: Larry Eaton of Sunapee
This year’s awardees will be honored in a ceremony on May 6, 2013 at 1:30 PM in the Executive Council Chamber at the State House. This award was initiated in 1962 to memorialize the Honorable Joseph D. Vaughan, who was instrumental in creating a State agency dedicated to the well being of senior citizens.
For more information, contact event coordinator Roger Vachon at 603-223-6903 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.