Eligible Professionals must demonstrate that they have Adopted; Implemented; or Upgraded (AIU) Certified EHR Technology in the first payment year.
- Adopt: acquire, purchase, or secure access to certified EHR technology.
- Implement: install or begin using certified EHR technology.
- Upgrade: upgrade from existing EHR technology to certified EHR technology or expand the functionality of existing certified EHR technology.
Adopt, Implement, Upgrade Supporting Documentation
CMS EHR Certification ID Documentation: all certified modules or EHRs that are available at a practice(s) at the start of the EHR reporting period must be added to the cart on the Office of the National Coordinator Certified Health IT Product List (CHPL) website to generate an accurate CMS EHR Certification ID. Eligible Professionals (EPs) must upload a screenshot of the CHPL webpage with the CMS EHR Certification ID at the time of attestation.
Proof of AIU: Eligible Professionals must upload a document(s) that shows proof that certified EHR technology has been adopted, implemented, or upgraded. All documents must be fully executed, i.e., signed and dated by both the provider (or provider organization) and vendor and clearly reflect obligation and/or payment for an EHR. In the event of audit, providers should retain AIU documentation for six years following payment year 1. AIU documentation can include a(n):
- EHR vendor contract;
- Purchase order and paid invoice (copy of organization check; bank check; or credit card slip that matches the purchase order amount) for an EHR system or annual maintenance fee;
- Other document showing legal contractual obligation.
Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.