Hampstead Hospital Adult Services
Adult Services at Hampstead Hospital provides inpatient psychiatric and substance use services. Our facility provides safety and stabilization for most psychiatric illnesses such as depression, anxiety, mood disorders, PTSD, ADHD, and psychosis. Adult services also provide medical detoxification from alcohol, opioids, and benzodiazepines. All of these services are provided in a locked 15 bed treatment unit that is focused on providing safe, respectful care in a highly structured setting.
Throughout the entire treatment process, great time is spent developing a treatment plan that meets the specific, unique needs of each individual. Each individual has an initial psychiatric assessment, social work evaluation, medication evaluation, group interventions and a solid aftercare plan to support transition from treatment.
- 15 bed inpatient treatment unit
- 24-hour nursing care
- Full psychiatric and/or substance use evaluation
- Medically supervised detox
- Small, personalized skill building groups
- Family involved care
- Safety planning
- Daily medication management and monitoring
- Aftercare planning with referrals
Our interdisciplinary team is comprised of:
- Board-certified psychiatrists
- Licensed nurse practitioners
- Masters-level social workers
- Registered nurses
- Psychiatric counselors and aides
- Substance abuse counselors and clinicians
The primary goals of the program are to:
- Provide a safe, supportive therapeutic environment that assists patients in mental health crisis stabilization and safety planning.
- Work intensively with patients on their treatment goals and continuing care plan to assure a quick return to their family and community supports.
- Encourage family members to participate in treatment with the focus on education and aftercare planning.
Components of our Adult Psychiatric Program include assessment, education, medication therapy, group therapy, family support and education, as well as aftercare planning:
- Psychiatrists, psychiatric nurse practitioners, nursing staff, and social workers provide education regarding mental illness and treatment to the patient and family members throughout the patient's stay
- Patients have regular meetings with their psychologist and/or psychiatrist to review their treatment plan.
- Using group therapy, we provide a structured program that runs seven days a week, from early morning into the evening. Therapeutic groups provide a variety of treatment strategies that are educational and solution-focused. We use aspects of Dialectical Behavioural Therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, and solution focused strategies.
Our adult substance use disorders program offers a continuum of care that allows the individual to safely detox from substances and develop a solid recovery plan that supports ongoing recovery.
- Our 15-bed inpatient unit safely detoxes clients from alcohol, opioids, and benzodiazepines. Medications are ordered by our physicians and administered by our nurses. Clients are closely monitored throughout the entire process.
- Highly structured group programming is offered seven days a week to assist individuals in learning about the addiction and recovery process, increasing awareness of healthy coping strategies to manage relapse, and identification of resources in the community to assist with recovery. Individuals are also introduced to twelve-step recovery supports through groups and commitments.
- Social workers work closely with the individual and families to develop and aftercare plan that supports recovery in the community.
Partial Hospital Program (PHP)
- Substance Abuse Services at Hampstead Hospital offers a PHP for individuals with a primary substance use disorder diagnosis as a transition from residential treatment or as a standalone level of treatment to support ongoing recovery.
- Individuals attend the PHP from 9am-3pm five days (M-F) a week.
Family involvement is crucial during hospitalization. An initial assessment will help identify the nature of the patient’s difficulties, the impact on the family, and the goals for hospitalization. Our team works closely with the family and with pre-hospitalization treatment providers to identify aftercare needs early in hospitalization. Clinical Social Workers work with the patient, family, and the outpatient teams to coordinate aftercare services and a successful transition at the time of discharge.