skip navigation Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
Families & Children Women Teens Adults Seniors People with Disabilities

What to do when you suspect adult abuse or neglect?

The Adult Protection Law requires any person who has a reason to believe that an vulnerable adult has been subjected to abuse, neglect, exploitation or self-neglect to make a report immediately to the Bureau of Elderly & Adult Services (BEAS). Call (603) 271-7014 or toll Free from within NH at (800) 949-0470

Who should report abuse or neglect?

Any person who has a reason to believe that an vulnerable adult has been subjected to abuse, neglect, exploitation or self-neglect.

Make a Report

  • If you suspect abuse, neglect, self-neglect or exploitation you must call BEAS.
  • Proof of abuse or neglect is not required to make a report.
  • Reports are confidential and can be anonymous.
  • The Adult Protection Law does not allow BEAS to release your personal information to anyone unless you agree or a court orders BEAS to do so.

Helpful Information

When you contact BEAS, you will be asked for some information. You may not have all the answers. Just tell us what you know regarding:

  • The name, address, telephone number, sex, and estimated age of the vulnerable adult.
  • The name, address and phone number of a guardian or someone who is legally responsible for the individual.
  • The full nature and extent of the individual's injuries, maltreatment, or neglect and where the incident/situation occurred.
  • The type of living arrangement for the individual.
  • Any information about previous injuries, abuse, maltreatment, or neglect.
  • How great a risk you believe this may be to the individual.
  • How you learned of this situation.
  • Any action that has been taken to treat or assist the individual.
  • The name, address, phone number, sex, and relationship of the person believed responsible for the abuse, neglect, or exploitation of the individual.
  • Your name, address and phone number.
  • Any other information that could be helpful.

Sometimes people are unsure if a situation is abusive. Even if you're in doubt, call. BEAS has extensive experience in adult protection. BEAS may find no abuse or neglect has taken place but may still offer assistance to the individual.

Where to report abuse or neglect

  • Contact BEAS from 8-4:30, Monday-Friday at (800) 949-0470 or (603) 271-7014.
  • For Nursing or Assisted Living Facilities – Contact the Long Term Care Ombudsman at (800) 442-5640 or (603) 271-4375.
  • Call 911 or the local police after hours, weekends or holidays.
Translate this page


New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services
129 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH | 03301-3852

copyright 2016. State of New Hampshire