skip navigation Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
Families & Children Women Teens Adults Seniors People with Disabilities

Enforcing an Order
When support is not paid in accordance with the court order, DCSS may take enforcement actions. Only DCSS or the court, not the payee or the payor, can decide the type and level of enforcement action to be taken.

Enforcement actions that may be taken for not complying with the court order include:

  • License Revocation – DCSS will revoke, suspend or deny a Payor's license, including:
    • Driver's (operator and CDL)
    • Any Occupational/Professional (medical, plumbing, teaching, cosmetology, etc.)
    • Sporting (hunting and fishing)
  • Notify Credit Bureaus – Provide the amount of the arrearages and last payment made to credit bureaus
  • Submit for Federal Tax Offset and intercept the Payor's tax refund
  • Deny a Passport – Notify the federal passport agency to deny issuing or renewing a passport
  • Place a lien against the Payor's assets. ( personal & real property)
    • Financial accounts – Bank Account, Insurance Settlement, Workman's Compensation
    • Real estate holdings – house, land, camp
  • Intercept Lottery Prizes – Take the portion of a lottery prize equal to the amount of the arrearage
  • Pre-Show Cause Appointment – An appointment with the Child Support worker to discuss why a Show Cause Hearing for the Payor should not be scheduled
  • Show Cause Hearing – DCSS presents the case history to the court for the judge to decide next steps which may include immediate payment or, in certain cases, incarceration of the payor
  • Criminal Non-Support – for more information contact your Child Support Officer
    • Class B felony if the support arrearage has remained unpaid for a cumulative period of more than one year;
    • Class B felony if the arrearage amount is more than $10,000;
    • Class B felony if the obligor has been previously convicted of non-support under this section, or if the obligor has been convicted of a similar criminal non-support offense in another state and the support arrearage in New Hampshire has remained unpaid for a cumulative period of more than one year; or
    • Class A misdemeanor in all other cases.

Modifications: Only the Court Can Change the Order
If you cannot afford your order or have had a change in circumstances since your order was issued, take your order back to court!

For More Information:

Contact Your Child Support Worker

You can help DCSS manage your case by providing new information as it becomes available. Accurate information regarding address, phone number, occupation and income can affect enforcement activity.

When contacting us, please always provide the following information:

  • Your full name
  • Social Security Number
  • Case ID#
  • Your question, concern or information

You may contact us:

  • Electronically – Send an email to
  • By telephone to a District Office.
  • Fax information to the Central Information Unit (formerly Customer Service) at 603-271-4787.
  • In Person at a District OfficeMake An Appointment! We may not be able to see you right away without one. You can complete an intake form in the lobby or call ahead to request an appointment.


DCSS Child Support Workers decide the best actions to take on support cases.

Specific laws, policies and rules must be adhered to.

Keep your mailing address up-to-date! You may receive notices and paperwork in the mail! It is your responsibility to respond timely!

Failure to cooperate with DCSS may result in:

  • delaying the progress of your case,
  • closure of your case or
  • if you receive TANF, a reduction to your benefits.

Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.

Translate this page


New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services
129 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH | 03301-3852

copyright 2016. State of New Hampshire