skip navigation Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
Families & Children Women Teens Adults Seniors People with Disabilities
DHHS Home > Bureau of Family Assistance >
Cash Assistance Programs

If you receive SNAP, Medicaid, or cash assistance benefits, you may be eligible to receive utility assistance through the Electric Assistance Program Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol and the Fuel Assistance and Weatherization Assistance Programs Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol.

Contact your local Community Action Agency to apply today.

Cash Assistance is provided through Bureau of Family Assistance (BFA) in two general program areas, the Financial Assistance to Needy Families (FANF) Program and State Supplement Program (SSP).

State Supplement Program (SSP-Cash)

SSP cash assistance supports elderly adults and individuals that are physically disabled, mentally disabled, or legally blind. Eligibility and benefit amounts for SSP depends upon the individual and spouse's income, resources, and living arrangements. Services are provided for eligible individuals through the following programs:

  • Aid to the Permanently and Totally Disabled (APTD)
  • Aid to the Needy Blind (ANB)
  • Old Age Assistance (OAA)

Are you a senior 60 years or older? You may be eligible for free nutritious foods.

If you are a low-income senior, age 60 or older, you may also be eligible for the Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP). CSFP provides free monthly food boxes, nutrition information, and recipes to promote good nutrition and health for seniors. Services are available statewide at community agencies. Call the State CSFP office at 1-800-942-4321 or visit the CSFP webpage for more information.

Financial Assistance to Needy Families (FANF-Cash)

FANF provides cash assistance to needy families with dependent children. Eligibility and benefit amounts for FANF depends upon the family’s income, resources, living arrangements, and the dependent children must lack parental support or care due to death, continued absence or because at least one parent in a two-parent home is disabled. Services are provided for eligible families with dependent children through the following programs:

  • Family Assistance Program (FAP)
  • New Hampshire Employment Program (NHEP)
  • Interim Disabled Parent (IDP) program
  • Families With Older Children (FWOC)

How to Apply for Assistance

Translate this page


New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services
129 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH | 03301-3852

copyright 2016. State of New Hampshire