skip navigation Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
Families & Children Women Teens Adults Seniors People with Disabilities
DHHS Home > Bureau of Family Assistance >
Financial Assistance to Needy Families

The Financial Assistance to Needy Families Program (FANF) provides cash assistance to families with dependent children through the following programs of assistance

  • New Hampshire Employment Program (NHEP);
  • Family Assistance Program (FAP);
  • Interim Disabled Parent (IDP) program; or
  • Families With Older Children (FWOC).

All FANF programs have the same cash eligibility requirements, and the same benefit limits.

  • To qualify, the dependent children must lack parental support or care due to death, continued absence or because at least one parent in a two-parent home is disabled.

kidsBenefit Limits for FANF

You can get FANF cash assistance for a maximum of 60 months. Counting for the lifetime limit for receipt of FANF cashassistance began in NH on October 1, 1996. October was counted as month 1 of the 60 months allowed if you received cash assistance beginning in October 1996. Any months you received cash assistance before October 1996 do not count toward your 60 month limit. There is no limit on receipt of assistance for the children in families headed by a relative who does not receive FANF assistance for him/herself.

Related FANF Services

Parents of families eligible for FANF cash assistance are also eligible for Medicaid; children of FANF eligible families are eligible for Children's Medicaid (CM). Employment and Training Programs and Support Services assist adults receiving cash benefits through the FANF program. Employment and training services are provided by BFA and other interagency staff located in your local District Office.

Child Care Assistance assists parents engaged in work, training or educational activities. Payments to child care providers are coordinated by BFA in cooperation with the Child Development Bureau. Your Family Service Specialist or local Child Care Resource & Referral Agency can help you find the best care for your children.

Emergency Assistance assists families with dependent children who may qualify for FANF in obtaining and keeping safe and healthy permanent housing.

How You Will Receive Your Benefits

FANF cash assistance is issued twice per month via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT). Cash assistance issued via EFT is deposited directly into an individual's checking or savings account and is accessible in the same manner as any other cash in the account. Cash assistance issued via EBT is accessed through a debit-style EBT card and individuals can either swipe the EBT card through a point-of-sale machine at participating retailers or use ATM machines to access the cash assistance.

Translate this page


New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services
129 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH | 03301-3852

copyright 2016. State of New Hampshire