skip navigation Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
Families & Children Women Teens Adults Seniors People with Disabilities
The Bureau of Family Assistance provides Financial Assistance to Needy Families (FANF) with dependent children through one of four programs: New Hampshire Employment Program (NHEP); Family Assistance program (FAP); Interim Disabled Parent (IDP); or Families With Older Children (FWOC).

Eligibility for FANF depends upon income, resources and the presence of a dependent child under age 18, or under age 20 if the child is a full time student in high school or in a high school equivalency program. FANF applicants must meet the DHHS definition of relative to the child and live with the dependent child. The child must be deprived of parental support or care because a parent died, left home, or is physically or mentally incapacitated.

General Requirements

Financial Requirements
Financial requirements are broken into two components: income and resources. You are considered financially eligible for FANF if both income and resource requirements are met.

  • Household Income: All available income for all members of your household is counted when we determine your eligibility. However, we subtract certain expenses from that total. If, after subtracting your expenses, your total net income equals or falls below the monthly net income limits for the number of people in your household, you are considered income eligible.
  • Household Resources: All resources, which you and your family own are considered to determine eligibility. Examples of resources are cash, bank accounts, stocks, bonds, permanently unoccupied real estate and some trusts. We do not count certain resources such as the home you are living in, your furniture and one vehicle for each adult in the home. If, after counting or excluding your household's resources, your total countable resources equal or fall below $1,000, you are considered resource eligible.
  • Household Expenses: FANF allows deductions (amounts subtracted) from your income for individuals who work, including up to 20% of earnings for FANF applicants, and all unreimbursed child care costs needed for employment or training.

What Happens Now?

If you meet the requirements above and think your income and resources are close to the figures provided and you wish to apply for FANF, you can:

  • get the information you need to apply;
  • Contact a DHHS District Office and speak with a DHHS worker who will assist you to complete the eligibility interview process; and
  • Provide copies of any information that we may need.

If you are determined eligible for FANF cash assistance, you may qualify for other DHHS programs such as Food Stamp benefits, medical assistance, child care help or emergency assistance. We will also help you find, get, and keep a job, and cash assistance recipients are supported after getting a job and moving toward self-sufficiency. Your total monthly income will go up as you go to work and increase your earnings. For each dollar you earn, your cash assistance benefit will only decrease by 50 cents. If you become ineligible for financial assistance because of earnings, you will still qualify for up to 12 months of Extended Medical Assistance (EMA). You may also get a special benefit called Extended Food Stamps (EFS) for up to 5 months. After that period, then you may still be eligible for medical coverage, child care, and Food Stamp benefits if you meet the programs' requirements.

Right to an Administrative Appeal Hearing
If you disagree with any decision the Division of Family Assistance makes on your case, you may request an Administrative Appeals hearing.

Translate this page


New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services
129 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH | 03301-3852

copyright 2016. State of New Hampshire