skip navigation Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
Families & Children Women Teens Adults Seniors People with Disabilities

Attention Consumers

Home repairs that create even a small amount of lead dust are enough to harm your child. To protect your family, if you live in a house or apartment that was built before 1978, make sure you hire a contractor who is Lead-Safe Certified.

To find a Lead-Safe Certified Contractor in your area, visit the U.S. EPA's Lead web page or call 800-424-LEAD.

Protect Your Family - Look for the Logo

EPA Lead-Safe Certified Firm Logo

To report firms and renovators that are not following lead-safe work practices, you may:

Attention Renovators

If you are working in homes, schools or daycare centers built pre-1978, you must be EPA Lead-Safe Certified.

  • What:
    Federal law requires any contractor ,including renovators, electricians, HVAC specialists, plumbers, painters, maintenance staff and others that disturb painted surfaces in homes, childcare facilities and pre-schools built before 1978 be certified and follow lead-safe work practices.

  • Who:
    EPA’s Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) rule requires those performing routine renovation activities which disturbs more than six square feet of lead paint inside or twenty square feet of lead paint outside a pre-1978 home, school, day care center and other places where children spend time be certified by EPA (or an EPA authorized state), use certified renovators who are trained by EPA-approved training providers and follow lead-safe work practices.

  • How:
    Complete and submit an application which certifies your firm for five years by going to the U.S. EPA's Apply For or Update Your Renovation Firm's Lead-Safe Certification

    An 8 hour course will certify your renovators for five years. To find an accredited trainer in your area go to the U.S. EPA's Locate an RRP Training Class or Provider in your area

  • Why:
    • Avoid risk of governmental fines and civil liability
    • Protect your workers, yourself, and your customers from a health risk
    • Gain competitive advantage

For more information, please visit the U.S. EPA's Lead web page.

For useful materials for certified firms, go to the U.S. EPA's Renovation, Repair and Painting Program: Contractors

Translate this page


New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services
129 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH | 03301-3852

copyright 2016. State of New Hampshire