skip navigation Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
Families & Children Women Teens Adults Seniors People with Disabilities

Press Release

NH DHHS Food Stamp Recipients May Request Replacement Benefits Due to Recent Power Outages
Public Information Office
(603) 271-9388

Visit us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterFollow us on Twitter
Publish Date:
December 2, 2014

Concord, NH –The New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Division of Family Assistance (DFA) announced today that the USDA Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) will replace Food Stamp benefits to recipients affected by the recent widespread power outages. Many lost food because of spoilage due to the power outages caused by the winter storm.

According to DFA Director Terry Smith, "Individuals who were participating in the Food Stamp Program on November 26, 2014, may request replacement food stamps no later than December 10th. We are requesting that the USDA FNS extend that deadline, but this federal permission has not yet been received."

Funding for food stamp benefits is 100% federal. New Hampshire Food Stamp policy is directed by federal regulation, including replacement benefits for food lost as a result of circumstances such as the power outage.

To receive replacement food stamp benefits, recipients must provide a signed statement indicating a food loss was due to a power outage related to the storm. The statement must include the total value of the lost food. An example statement is provided at Clients may also contact either their local district office or call 1-800-852-3345, ext 9700 for assistance.

Translate this page


New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services
129 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH | 03301-3852

copyright 2016. State of New Hampshire