skip navigation Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
Families & Children Women Teens Adults Seniors People with Disabilities
DHHS Home > Office of Operations Support > Bureau of Health Facilities Administration >
How to File a Complaint Against a Health Care Facility

What is a Health Facility?

The following are health facilities that fall under the jurisdiction of the Health Facility Licensing and Certification Units:

  • Acute psychiatric residential treatment programs
  • Adult day programs that provide services to three or more patients
  • Adult family care homes
  • Ambulatory surgical centers
  • Assisted living residence – residential care facilities
  • Assisted living residence – supported residential care facilities
  • Birthing centers
  • Collecting stations
  • Educational health centers
  • End stage renal dialysis centers
  • Freestanding emergency rooms-Licensed as Hospitals
  • Freestanding Megavoltage Therapy
  • Home care service providers
  • Home health care providers
  • Home health hospice providers
  • Hospice houses
  • Hospitals and specialty hospitals
  • Individual Home Care Service Providers
  • Intermediate care facilities
  • Laboratories
  • Non-emergency walk-in care centers
  • Nursing facilities
  • Residential treatment and rehabilitation facilities
  • Substance Use Disorder Residential Treatment Facility

If you wish to file a complaint against a Licensed Health Facility, please contact:

NH Department of Health & Human Services
Health Facilities Licensing Unit
129 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301
Telephone: (603) 271-9039

What is a Certified Facility?

A certified facility is any facility, such as a hospital, an end stage renal dialysis center, most nursing homes, most ambulatory surgical centers, and home health agencies that participate in the Medicare/Medicaid programs. If you are unsure if a facility is certified, call (603) 271-9039.

Health Facilities cannot take complaints against physicians’ offices. Please contact the NH Board of Medicine at (603) 271-2151.

When filing a complaint, please give as much information as possible. You do not need to give your name when filing a complaint. Please submit the following information if possible:

  • The name or location of the facility
  • The name of person(s) involved
  • The specific allegations of the complaint
  • Whether you have already filed the complaint with another entity (local officials, Adult Protective Services, DHHS Long Term Care Ombudsman, or NH Attorney General)

Due to the nature of the complaint, please be advised that your complaint may also be given to other Departments/entities such as DHHS Office of Long Term Care Ombudsman, Adult Protective Services, NH Attorney General and local officials.

If you wish to file a complaint against a Certified Health Facility, please contact:

NH Department of Health & Human Services
Health Facility Certification Unit
129 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301-3857
Telephone: (603) 271-9049


Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.

Translate this page


New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services
129 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH | 03301-3852

copyright 2016. State of New Hampshire