Information for Adoptees & Birth Family Members

Adoption search services are available for persons who were adopted through DCYF, birth parents of persons adopted through DCYF, and siblings and other relatives of adopted persons when a court order is obtained for search services.

Adoption Records

As of January 1, 2005 adopted persons (over age 18) born in New Hampshire can obtain a non-certified copy of their original birth certificate from NH Vital Records Administration. If a birth parent has filled out a contact preference form and medical history form and filed them with NH Vital Records Administration, those forms can be obtained by contacting NH Vital Records.

Contact: NH Vital Records Administration
71 South Fruit Street
Concord, NH 03301
Telephone: (603) 271-4650

For FAQ and application forms visit the NH Vital Records Web site.

If you wish to obtain information from your adoption record the adoption law allows:

  • Adopted individuals to request non-identifying medical and social information from the agency that finalized their adoption.
  • Adopted individuals to request a search for their birth parents by the agency that finalized their adoption. That agency would act as the intermediary during the search process, and attempt to locate the birth parent and inquire if contact is desired. Identifying information can be released with the consent of both parties.

Adopted individuals who do not know what agency finalized their adoption, or individuals whose adoption was finalized through an attorney may contact NH Division for Children, Youth and Families for assistance.

Financial Assistance for Post-Secondary Education and Training

If you were adopted after your 16th birthday, and are currently between the ages of 18 and 26, you may be eligible for a Tuition Waiver, or Education and Training Voucher Funds, to assist with the costs of post-secondary education. See Paying for College.