Aid to the Permanently & Totally Disabled

Aid to the Permanently and Totally Disabled (APTD) is cash assistance for individuals who are between the ages of 18 and 64 and who are physically or mentally disabled.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for APTD cash assistance, you must meet certain requirements. If you are eligible for cash assistance, you are also eligible for medical assistance.

General Requirements

Citizenship Status/Immigration: You must be either a US citizen or a qualified alien.

Residency: You must live in New Hampshire, intend to remain in New Hampshire and not be getting cash assistance from another state.

Social Security Number: You must furnish a Social Security Number or proof of an application for a Social Security Number.

Living Arrangement: You must describe your living situation to us. We need to know if you are living in your own home or apartment, or if you are living with others in a type of group home, such as family care or in an assisted living facility. The income limits are different for different kinds of situations.

Potential Income: You must explore and apply for all potential kinds of income to which you may be entitled. For example, if you are potentially eligible for any of the following, you must apply for them:

  • Social Security Benefits (including SSI)
  • Retirement Benefits or Pensions
  • Unemployment or Worker's Compensation
  • Third Party Medical Coverage
  • VA Benefits (including Aid and Attendance)
  • Disability Benefits or Pensions
  • Contributions from any Liable Third Party

Medical Eligibility

For you to be eligible for APTD, you must have a medical condition that stops you from working and that is expected to last for at least 48 months or result in death. We will use information that you give us to decide whether you are disabled.

Financial Eligibility

Financial eligibility is broken into two parts; income and resources. You are considered financially eligible for the APTD program if you meet both income and resource requirements.

Income: Most kinds of income you receive, are counted when we determine your eligibility for APTD. We also count your spouse's income if you live with your spouse. Some examples of counted income are:

  • Wages
  • Self-employment income
  • Rental income
  • Social security benefits
  • Veterans benefits

We subtract certain expenses from your income. If you work, we subtract certain employment expenses. We also subtract expenses such as court-ordered alimony and child support payments. If your total net income is no higher than the monthly net income limits for your living arrangement and the program for which you are applying, you are considered income eligible.

Resources: All resources that you and your spouse own are counted to determine eligibility. Example of resources are:

  • Cash
  • Bank and credit union accounts
  • Stocks and bonds
  • Some life insurance
  • Permanently unoccupied real estate
  • Some trusts

We do not count certain resources, such as the home you are living in, vehicles or burial plots for yourself. If, after counting your resources, your total countable resources are no higher than $1,500, you are considered resource eligible.

What Happens Now?

If you meet the requirements above and think your income and resources are close to the figures provided and you would like to apply for the APTD program, you should:

  • Visit a DHHS District Office and speak with a DHHS worker who will help you through the application interview process; and
  • Give copies of any information that we may need.


You must tell us of any changes that might affect your eligibility. This includes changes of address and any changes in your income and resources such as earnings, Social Security benefits or money from insurance settlements. You must report these changes within 10 days after they happen. You will receive advance notice of any decreases, increases or termination of your grant.


If you are paid more money than you should have received, you may have to pay back the amount of money that you should not have received.

Please Note: NH State law requires DHHS to seek reimbursement from the estates of OAA, ANB, and APTD cash recipients for all cash assistance provided. During an eligibility interview, applicants will be informed of this responsibility.

Right to an Administrative Appeal Hearing

If you disagree with any decision the Division of Family Assistance makes on your case, you may request an Administrative Appeals hearing.