Therapeutic Cannabis

The Therapeutic Cannabis Program was established in 2013, under RSA 126-X. That law establishes exemptions from criminal penalties for the therapeutic use of cannabis in New Hampshire.

The Therapeutic Cannabis Program (TCP) maintains a confidential registry of qualifying patients, their caregivers, and their certifying medical providers. The program processes applications and issues cannabis registry ID cards to eligible patients and caregivers. The registry ID cards allow cardholders to purchase therapeutic cannabis from one of the state’s licensed Alternative Treatment Centers (ATCs). The ATCs are independently operated, not-for-profit entities responsible for the cultivation, production, and dispensing of therapeutic cannabis to qualifying patients in New Hampshire. The program regulates the ATCs for safety, quality, and compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.


October 2023

Updated Qualifying Medical Conditions

Severe Pain. Effective October 7, 2023, HB 611 makes an update to the qualifying medical condition and symptom of “severe pain.” The bill removes the requirement that a patient’s severe pain be resistant to other treatment options, like previously prescribed medication or surgical measures, in order to be considered a qualifying medical condition for the use of therapeutic cannabis.
The Written Certification for the Therapeutic Use of Cannabis has been updated to reflect this change.

Presentation to the HB 611 Cannabis Legalization Commission

On October 5, 2023, the NH Division of Public Health Services, Therapeutic Cannabis Program was invited to make a presentation to the “Commission to Study with the Purpose of Proposing Legislation, State-Controlled Sales of Cannabis and Cannabis Products.”

Presentation to the Commission


June 2023

Therapeutic Cannabis Patients Visiting from Other States Are Authorized to Access New Hampshire’s Therapeutic Cannabis Dispensaries

Beginning Wednesday, June 28, the Therapeutic Cannabis Program has authorized New Hampshire’s Alternative Treatment Centers (ATCs) to dispense therapeutic cannabis to visitors from out of state and from Canada who are allowed to possess cannabis for therapeutic purposes in their state or province. 

Visiting patients can purchase therapeutic cannabis from a New Hampshire ATC three times per year using their valid therapeutic cannabis identification issued by another state or Canada. If the out-of-state patient has a documented qualifying medical condition that is on the list of conditions approved by New Hampshire, those visiting patients may purchase cannabis at New Hampshire ATCs at the same frequency as New Hampshire qualifying patients. New Hampshire’s qualifying medical conditions are listed on the Qualifying Medical Conditions webpage.

Visiting patients must show their out-of-state cannabis ID card and matching photo identification. There is a 2 ounce possession limit per patient, and all patients are limited to purchasing 2 ounces of cannabis in any 10-day period. Visiting patients must abide by all applicable state laws regarding their therapeutic use of cannabis.

There are seven ATC therapeutic cannabis dispensary locations operating in New Hampshire. They are located in Chichester, Conway, Dover, Keene, Lebanon, Merrimack, and Plymouth. Their locations are listed on the Alternative Treatment Centers webpage.


Public Hearing - June 21, 2023

Qualifying Medical Conditions for the Therapeutic Use of Cannabis: Epilepsy in Children and Adults Under 21

The Therapeutic Cannabis Medical Oversight Board (TCMOB) and the Therapeutic Cannabis Program will hold a public hearing to gather input from the public on a reconsideration of epilepsy as a qualifying medical condition for children and adults under age 21.

  • Date: Wednesday, June 21, 2023
  • Time: 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm
  • Location: DHHS, 29 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH, Auditorium
  • Remote Access: Teams Link (Meeting ID: 247 134 390 909; Passcode: HNnSgr)
  • Written Comment Period Ends: Wednesday, June 28
  • Information Contact: Michael Holt, (603) 271-9234,

The following medical condition is under reconsideration as a qualifying medical condition for the therapeutic use of cannabis: 

  • Epilepsy in children and adults under age 21

October 2023 Update. The TCMOB voted, at its October 4 meeting, not to recommend any changes to this qualifying medical condition. See meeting minutes from October 4.


May 2023

Three-Year Certifications, Certification Extensions, and Provider Education

Effective May 2023, program rules about patient certification for the Therapeutic Cannabis Program have changed:

  • A medical provider may certify their patients for up to 3 years. 
  • A medical provider may extend a current, effective Written Certification that they previously issued for less than 3 years. The total duration of a Written Certification, including any extensions, shall not exceed 3 years.
  • A medical provider must provide additional counseling regarding the risks of cannabis use to two target populations: women of child-bearing age, and adolescents up to 25 years old.

Detailed information about these changes for patients and providers can be found on the May 2023 Program Update.

All forms, applications, and information sheets posted on the Applications and Forms page have been updated to reflect the new program rules. 

Current version of He-C 401 – Therapeutic Cannabis Program Registry Rules, effective May 2023.

Patient FAQs

What do I need to apply for or renew my Registry ID Card?

The process and paperwork is the same each year whether you are a new applicant or renewing your card:

  • A completed Patient Application
  • A completed Written Certification (from your provider)
  • $50 Application Fee: A check or money order, payable to “Treasurer-State of NH”
  • Proof of NH Residency. This must include your name, your NH address, and a date. For example, a copy of your driver’s license or state ID, a utility or medical bill, or a current lease, etc. If a bill, it needs to be dated within the last 6 months. Proof of residency is not required if renewing at the same address.

Where do I mail/drop off the application packet?

Mail to: DHHS – TCP, 29 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH 03301

You can drop off your application packet at 29 Hazen Drive in Concord. There is an orange dropbox in front of the building that is checked daily, and another dropbox inside the building between the lobby reception windows.

What if I forgot to include one of the application items?

Send it separately and include a note saying you already sent the other items. Include your name and date of birth.

Is there still a requirement to send a passport size picture/photo?

No, the picture requirement was discontinued in November 2019.

Do I have to return my expired card?

No. Please cut it up and dispose of it in the trash.

What if I want to cancel my card?

Mail us your card and a note stating you no longer want to be part of the program.

My renewal notice has a suggested deadline. What if I miss that deadline?

We want to get your renewal ID card to you before your current ID card expires. If you send your renewal application in late, we may not be able to process it before your expiration date, especially if your application needs to be corrected by you or your medical provider. Send your renewal application in as soon as you are able to, even if it’s late, keeping in mind that your card may have a short lapse.

There is no penalty and no extra requirements if you reapply late.

Plan on seeing your medical provider 2 to 3 months before your card expires to have them complete the Written Certification for your renewal.

How long does it take to get a card?

We will review your application and send a “Notice of Incomplete Application” within 10 days of receiving it if your application is incomplete. If your application is complete, we will mail your card within 3 weeks.

Can I call to check the status of my card?

Please only call us if it has been more than 3 weeks without getting a Notice of Incomplete Application or receiving a card. We have more than 12,000 active patients and limited staff resources.

How do I change my name or address, or get a replacement card if I lost mine?

Use the Change of Information/Lost Card Form. There is no fee for a change of name/address. There is a $10 fee for a replacement card if you lost yours.

How long are the medical provider signatures on my Written Certification good for?

Signatures are good for 6 months. Have your provider re-sign and re-date the documents if it has been longer than 6 months.

I can’t find a medical provider to certify me for the program / My provider will no longer certify me. What can I do?

  • ANY physician (MD or DO), APRN, or PA can certify their patients for the program. There is no requirement for a medical provider to register with the program as a “marijuana doctor.”
  • Talk to your current provider(s) about your interest in the program, and ask if they will complete the Written Certification.
  • If you don’t have a provider, or none of your providers will complete the Written Certification for you, please call one of the Alternative Treatment Centers (ATCs) in the state. The NH ATCs are allowed to maintain lists of providers that may be taking new patients for cannabis certification.

What if my provider is out of state? Can they certify me?

Yes. A physician (MD, DO) or APRN (but not PAs) in Massachusetts, Maine, or Vermont can certify you for the program, but that provider must be your primary care provider or a specialist who is actively treating you for your qualifying medical condition.

Who do I make the check or money order out to?

“Treasurer – State of NH”

Do you take cash?


Can I pay online?


Do you have a reduced application fee for financial hardship?

No, but the ATCs have a discount program for cannabis products. Contact the ATCs for information.

I have a current NH license or State ID, but it has my old address on it. Can I still use it for proof of NH residency?


Caregiver FAQs

If I have a Patient Registry ID Card, can I be a Caregiver for another patient?

Yes. You will be issued a separate Caregiver ID card.

How do I apply to be a Caregiver?

  • You must be 21 years old and not have a felony conviction. 
  • Send us a Caregiver Application
  • If your patient did not already designate you as their Caregiver on their Patient Application, send us a Caregiver Designation Form  as well. 

Is there an application fee for Caregivers?

There is no application fee for Caregivers to apply or renew.