NHCarePath Home Care Information
Information and Guidance for people who would like to have care in their home
There is a difference between non-medical home care and home health care. It is important to understand this difference, since the type of care will both guide your search for the appropriate caregiver, supports and services, as well as define how you will be able to pay for home care.
What is Non-Medical Home Care?
Non-medical home care includes assistance with personal care, help with preparing meals, and help with taking care of one’s home. Services include:
- Meal Preparation
- Light Housework
- Help getting to and from the bathroom
- Help with walking Medication Reminders
What is Home Health Care?
Home health care is medical in nature. A prescription from a doctor may be required to obtain these services that are provided by healthcare professionals such as registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, and physical, occupational, and speech-language therapists. Home health care may also be described as clinical care and skilled care.
Home health agencies provide the following services:
- Administration of medication (including IVs and injections)
- Monitoring Vital Signs
- Wound care
- Assistance with recovery from illness or injury
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech-Language Therapy
- Monitoring of medical equipment
- Expertise in specific medical conditions (like Alzheimer’s disease or dementia)
Can individuals receive Non-Medical Home Care and Home Health Care at the same time? Yes.
- Some home health agencies also provide "homemaker" and personal care services if there is a need for household assistance.
- A home health agency and a non-medical home care agency may also work together to meet the needs of an individual.
How do individuals pay for these services?
There are many payment options for non-medical home care and home health care. Options for payment can depend on an individual’s circumstances and ability to pay as well as what an agency is able to accept for payment.
Examples of payment may include:
- Federal or State funded programs, including Titles III and XX
- Veterans Administration(VA) Contract or VA Choice
- Private Pay
- Private Insurance
- LTC Insurance
To connect to these and other resources, call ServiceLink at 866-634-9412.