Old Age Assistance

Old Age Assistance (OAA) is a State Supplemental Program (SSP) available for individuals age 65 or older.

Eligibility Requirements

Eligibility for OAA depends upon income, resources, and living arrangement. Individuals eligible for this State Supplemental Program (SSP) are also automatically eligible for Medicaid.

You must provide proof of income you receive, value of assets you own, who lives in your home, your address, and any other factors which affect your eligibility or amount of your grant.

General Requirements

Citizenship Status/Immigration: You must be either a US citizen or an eligible qualified alien.

Residency: You must be a current resident of NH, but you do not need to live in NH for a specified length of time.

Social Security Number: The law requires that you furnish a Social Security Number or verification of an application for a Social Security Number if one has never been issued or you cannot provide the number.

Living Arrangement: You must be prepared to describe your living situation to us. We need to know if you are living on your own or living with others in a group home type situation, such as a smaller family care or assisted living facility. The income limits vary by your living arrangement.

Potential Income: You must be prepared to explore and develop all potential sources of income to which you may be entitled. Your BFA family services can help you.


Financial Requirements

Financial requirements are broken into two components; income and resources. You are considered financially eligible for the ANB program if both income and resource requirements are met.

Income: All available income for you and your spouse, when living together, is counted when we determine your eligibility for the OAA Program. However, we subtract certain expenses from that total. If, after subtracting your expenses, your total net income equals or falls below the monthly net income limits for your living arrangement and the program for which you are applying, you are considered income eligible.

Resources: All resources which you and, if applicable, your spouse own are considered to determine eligibility. Examples of resources are cash, bank accounts, stocks, bonds, some life insurance, permanently unoccupied real estate and some trusts. We do not count certain resources, such as the home you are living in, vehicles or burial plots for yourself. If, after counting or excluding your household's resources, your total countable resources equal or fall below $1,500, you are considered resource eligible.

What Happens Now?

If you meet the requirements above and think your income and resources are close to the figures provided and you would like to apply for OAA, you should:

  • Complete an Application and if required, an interview will be scheduled where a DHHS Representative will walk you through the application interview process; and
  • Provide copies of any information that we may need.


You must tell the Department promptly of any changes that might affect your eligibility. This includes changes of address and any changes in your income and assets such as earnings, Social Security benefits or money from insurance settlements. You must report these changes within 10 days after they happen. You will receive advance notice of any decreases, increases or termination of your grant.


If, for any reason, you are paid more money than you should have received, you may have to pay back the amount of money that you should not have received.

Please Note: NH State law requires DHHS to seek reimbursement from the estates of OAA, Aid to Needy Blind (ANB), and Aid to Permanently and Totally Disabled (APTD) Cash recipients for all Cash Assistance provided. During an eligibility interview, applicants of this type of assistance will be informed of their responsibility if they fall within the guidelines of reimbursement for the assistance they will receive.

Right to an Administrative Appeal Hearing

If you disagree with any decision the Division of Family Assistance makes on your case, you may request an Administrative Appeals hearing.


Are You Eligible for Free Nutritious Food for Seniors?

If you are a low-income senior, age 60 or older, you may also be eligible for the Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP). CSFP provides free monthly food boxes, nutrition information, and recipes to promote good nutrition and health for seniors. Services are available statewide at community agencies. Call the State CSFP office at 1-800-942-4321 or visit the CSFP webpage for more information.