Other Ways to Help Children in Foster Care

As an alternative to providing foster care for minor children, there are other ways to help, including fostering young adults age 18-21, mentoring older youth, representing children in court or in the school system, and volunteering for local organizations that support foster children and foster parents.

Become a licensed foster parent in the HOPE program for an older youth 18-21 years. 

Fostering an older youth and supporting their preparation for adult life can be an especially rewarding experience. By helping them to learn key life skills and supporting their pursuit of employment, career planning and post-secondary education and training, you can set them on a path for future success. 

The Division for Children, Youth and Families (DCYF) Adolescent Program will be there to assist you and the youth by providing key resources and helpful tools. With the HOPE extended foster care program there are more opportunities to foster the older youth population than ever before. Through HOPE, DCYF youth can now decide to remain voluntarily in OR return to foster care up until turning 21 years of age. To qualify, youth need to have been in the custody of the Department of Health and Human Services upon attaining the age of 18. They also need to be employed, participating in a work or educational program or unable to meet those requirements due to a disability, medical condition, or mental health diagnosis.

Become a Primary Caring Adult (PCA)

The Community Connects program pairs older youth in DCYF placement (14 and older) with a primary caring adult who will spend time with them, celebrate their successes, support them through challenges and help them to create the future they want. 

Know Your Role in Preventing HAIs

Length: 2:45 | Transcript: Know Your Role in Preventing HAIs

Become a CASA Volunteer

Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of New Hampshire recruits, trains, and supervises volunteers to serve as advocates for abused and neglected children in the New Hampshire court system. 

Become an Educational Surrogate volunteer

The Educational Surrogate Parent program provides a surrogate to educationally handicapped children whose parents cannot participate in their educational plan. Advocate for a child to ensure their educational needs are met. See Surrogate Program at NH Dept. of Education.

Donate your time and talents

to a local organization that supports foster parents, children and their families: