skip navigation Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
Families & Children Women Teens Adults Seniors People with Disabilities
Benefit Changes
Beginning October 1, 2021, Federal and State laws will change the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). These included changes to income limits, the maximum amount of SNAP benefits you can receive, and the amount of deductions you can claim. You will have received a notice letting you know the amount of your benefit.

As a result of the COVID pandemic, SNAP benefits increased for all households by 15%. This was a temporary change and will expire at the end of September, 2021.

Read more about the changes in this update from the US Food and Nutrition Services Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol

Don’t forget about the new Advance Child Tax Credit Payments

There have been important changes to the Child Tax Credit that will help many families receive advance payments.

Advance Child Tax Credits (ACTC) payments are early IRS payments from the of 50 percent of the estimated amount of the Child Tax Credit that you may claim on your 2021 tax return during the 2022 tax filing season. If the IRS has processed your 2020 or 2019 tax return, these monthly payments will be made starting in July and through December 2021, based on the information contained in that return.

If you would rather claim the full credit when you file your 2021 tax return or you know you won’t be eligible for the Child Tax Credit for your 2021 tax year, you can unenroll through the Child Tax Credit Update Portal (CTC UP). CTC UP will allow you to unenroll before the first advance Child Tax Credit payment is made.

If you receive SNAP, Medicaid, or cash assistance benefits, you may be eligible to receive utility assistance through the Electric Assistance Program Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol and the Fuel Assistance and Weatherization Assistance Programs Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol.

Contact your local Community Action Agency to apply today.

See the COVID-19 Data on DHHS Client Services Programs

Online Purchasing

EBT cardholders are now able to make online purchases at Amazon, ALDI, Walmart, BJ’s Warehouse Club (BJ’s), Price Chopperm, Hannaford, and Price Rite. Amazon, ALDI, BJ’s, Price Chopper, Hannaford, and Price Rite can accept EBT SNAP purchases on SNAP approved items only, and any additional fees (such as delivery fees) must be paid via another form of payment. Walmart can accept both EBT SNAP and Cash purchases, with cash being able to be used for any additional fees and non-SNAP approved items.

Amazon, ALDI, Walmart, BJ’s, Price Chopper, Hannaford, and Price Rite may offer promotions at different times and delivery fees may be charged. Prior to making purchases the retailers’ websites should be checked to find any current promotions being offered.

For more information on the SNAP Online Purchasing Program, please see the DHHS Press Release: NH DHHS Announces Online Purchasing Program For SNAP Recipients.

Farmers' Markets

Farmers' Markets

Get more with your SNAP dollars at participating Farmers' Markets. With every SNAP dollar spent, you will get an additional dollar to spend on fresh fruits and veggies. Go to the Market Manage Booth and ask for “Granite State Market Match!”

Shopping at farmers markets or farm stands doesn’t just help your community’s farmers, it’s fun!

Double Up Food Buck logoDouble Up Food Bucks

Another healthy and delicious way to stretch your SNAP benefit is to shop where you see the DOUBLE UP FOOD BUCKS sign. You can get 50% off the fresh fruits and vegetables you buy instantly when you ask the cashier for Double Up Food Bucks. Then swipe your EBT or P-EBT card and enjoy!!

Visit for more information.

Double-Up Food Bucks are Available at these Participating Stores
Berlin Marketplace 19 Pleasant Street, Berlin, NH 03570
EM Heath Supermarket 12C Main Street, Center Harbor, NH 03226
Hanover Co-op Food Store 45 South Park Street, Hanover, NH 03755
Root Seller 77 Main Street, Lancaster, NH 03584
Vista Foods 378 South Main Street, Laconia, NH 03246
LaPerle’s IGA North Main Street, Colebrook, NH 03576
Monadnock Food Coop 34 Cypress Street, Keene NH 03431
Lebanon Co-op Food Store 12 Centerra Parkway, Lebanon, NH 03766
Newberry Farms 66 Main Street, Newmarket, NH 03857
Lovell Lake Food Center 66 Meadow Street, Sanbornville, NH 03872
Sully’s Superette 39 Allenstown Road, Allenstown, NH 03275
White River Junction Co-op Food Store 209 Maple Street, White River Junction, VT 05001
The Local Grocer 3358 White Mountain Highway, N. Conway, NH 03818
Fiddlehead Farmers Marketplace 451 High Street, Somersworth, NH 03878
Concord Food CO-OP 52 Newport Road, New London, NH 03257
Concord Food CO-OP 24 South Main Street, Concord, NH 03301

About The SNAP Program

The SNAP Program is about good nutrition and health. It provides eligible people with benefits to buy food items at grocery stores, farmers markets and other approved food retailers.

Who is eligible for SNAP?

Photos of girls eating carrot, senior with breakfast, and family eating dinner
You may qualify for SNAP benefits depending on your household size, income, expenses and resources. You may qualify if you own your home, have no home, live with someone else or live alone. You can have a job and you do not have to have children as long as your household meets eligibility guidelines. The Program gives deductions for things like housing costs, utilities, medical costs and child care.

Don’t assume that you won’t be eligible. The only way to find out is to apply.

You can apply on line at You can print an application from this website and mail it in. Or you can call 271-9700 or 1-800-852-3345 extension 9700 and they will mail you an application.

If you have an unresolved SNAP concern/complaint, you can work with your District Office to address it, complete and submit the Unresolved Food Stamp Complaints Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol form.

What You Can Buy With Your Snap Benefits

Healthy Food

With your Food SNAP benefits you can buy milk and other dairy products; meat, fish, poultry, eggs and beans; cereals, rice, pasta and other grain products; any ingredient used for baking or cooking; fruits and vegetables; cold deli foods for home consumption; ice and water for human consumption; infant formula, some special dietetic or diabetic food and "natural" or "organic" food items; and garden seeds and plants for growing food at home.

You cannot buy any kind of beer, alcohol or wine; any type of tobacco products; non-food items like cleaning products, soap and paper products; drugstore medicines such as aspirin, cough syrup and vitamins; items to preserve food such as jars and freezer containers; any "hot" prepared foods that are ready to eat; and foods not for people such as pet foods.

How You Will Receive and Use Your SNAP BenefitsWoman using SNAP at register

Your food stamp/SNAP benefits are directly deposited once a month into your Electronic Benefits Transfer SNAP account. You will use an EBT debit card to go shopping at participating grocery stores. At check out, you will use the same card machine used by all other customers. No one will know how you are paying for your food except the cashier and you. The store clerk is trained to assist you if you need help. You can learn more about EBT at the EBT webpage.



SNAP Program Work Rules

Special ABAWD work rules
Please read this important information about work rules for ABAWD SNAP recipients:

If you do not understand these rules or have questions about them, please call, email or visit your local District Office.

SNAP Employment & Training Program

If you get SNAP benefits, we have services that can help you find and get a job. Find out more at the SNAP E&T webpage.

Are You Eligible For WIC?

If you are pregnant or have young children up to the age of 5, you may be eligible for the WIC Nutrition Program. WIC offers nutritious foods, like milk and cheese and fruits and vegetables, along with nutrition education and breastfeeding support. To apply, call WIC at 1-800-942-4321 or visit the WIC Program's webpage for more information.

SNAP Nondiscrimination Notice

Declaración de No-Discriminación Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol (Spanish)

Nondiscrimination Statement

This institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex and in some cases religion or political beliefs.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture also prohibits discrimination based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol, (AD-3027), found online at How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  • Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
  • Fax: (202) 690-7442; or
  • Email:

For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in Spanish, or find them online at

To file a complaint of discrimination regarding a program receiving Federal financial assistance through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), write: HHS Director, Office for Civil Rights, Room 515-F, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201 or call (202) 619-0403 (voice) or (800) 537-7697 (TTY).

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

You may also write: Ombudsman, NH DHHS, 129 Pleasant St., Concord, NH 03301-3857, or call (603) 271-6941 or 1-800-852-3345 ext. 6941. TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 or 711.

Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.


Translate this page


New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services
129 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH | 03301-3852

copyright 2016. State of New Hampshire