Apply for Child Support Services

Every child has a right to be supported by both parents, even if the parents are divorced, separated or never married. In New Hampshire, the Bureau of Child Support Services (BCSS) helps families establish and/or enforce support orders - both medical and financial.

If you are a parent or caretaker of a minor child (under 18) and the other parent is not living in your household, you can receive our services. Just complete and sign an Application for Child Support Services

If you wish to have an application mailed to you, you can email Please indicate "Application Request" in the subject line and be sure your full name and mailing address is in the body of the email; or contact your local DHHS Office.


Can I still apply if I don’t have a legal order for support?

If you don’t have an order, we can help you establish one. For information about establishing orders for support see our Paternity and Support Order Establishment page. 

Can I still apply if I already have a legal order for support?

If you have an order, you can still apply for our services. We may be able to get a copy of your order for you, but it would save time if you provide it to us. We will review it and let you know if we can enforce it or what else may be needed to enforce it.

Will child support staff or the state attorney represent me?

The state’s attorney and Child Support staff assigned to your case represent the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services (Department) and do not represent you or your child(ren). The state’s attorney and staff act on behalf of the Department to establish paternity; to establish, enforce, and modify child and medical support orders; and (if applicable) to obtain repayment for TANF provided for your child(ren).

We cannot help establish court orders for parenting, visitation, alimony or custody. You must do this separately and may wish to seek the advice of an attorney for these matters.

I also have an order for spousal support. Can you collect that too?

Yes. We can collect court-ordered spousal support so long as you have a court order for child support and the dependent resides with you. We cannot collect spousal support alone.

My child’s father’s name is not on the birth certificate. Is that something you can help me with?

Yes. We can help to legally establish paternity for your child. For more information see our Paternity Support page. 

I am the paying parent, and I need help changing the amount of my order. Can you help me?

You can apply for services to have your order reviewed for possible changes even if it was issued in another state. We will tell you if it qualifies. Just fill out the NCP/PF Application for Services and send it to us with a complete copy of your latest order. 

I receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) from the state. Do I have to use your services?

Participants in the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program must, by law, participate and receive Child Support Services. If you receive public assistance in the form of TANF cash, you are required to cooperate with us to establish and enforce the support order. Some medical assistance programs also require you to cooperate with us. Also, while you receive these benefits, we will keep any support collected on behalf of your children to reimburse the public assistance paid to you.

Do you charge a fee for Child Support Services?

There is a $35 Annual Fee for our services, charged to the person who receives support, as long as they never received Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).  Each year on October 1st, an Annual Service Fee of $35.00 is deducted from payments received in your case(s) after $550.00 has been sent to you. The fee is not charged if the person who receives support has ever received TANF Public Assistance on behalf of your children. If you have multiple cases, the fee is charged in each case.

What if I am afraid of how the other parent may react to a child support case?

You are not alone. Many parents want or need child support and worry about getting child support safely.

This guide was developed in collaboration with the National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges to help survivors of domestic violence make fully informed decisions about safety and child support services. Child support processes and safety modifications vary by state. The guide provides a sequence of questions that survivors and domestic violence advocates can ask to learn about safety measures available in their state. It also explains why it’s important for child support workers to discuss local safety measures with all recipients of child support services. 

How long is child support collected?

Pursuant to RSA 461-A-14, New Hampshire Child Support is payable until the dependent turns 18 or is out of high school, whichever occurs later; becomes married or a member of the armed services; is declared legally dependent beyond that age due to mental or physical disability; or unless the court has otherwise ordered support to continue beyond age 18. Your court order will not change as each dependent emancipates unless you have a "per child" order or bring your order back to court. Child Support Orders issued in another state may be payable longer. You can check the Federal Office of Child Support's Intergovernmental Website for other state's regulations for age of majority.

Contact Information